Families Reading Every Day (FRED) – our Family and Community Learning team are still working with families remotely, below is a small case study to tell you what our tutors are sharing with local families!
Some of our fabulous learners have been continuing their courses from home, here are some great pics of families completing our FRED course. They were sent a recipe to read together and then looked at books that may have a story involving bears. I think you’ll agree from the evidence it looks like they had a wonderful time reading through and working together to complete the task. Well done all!
This was the recipe they were advised to read together: Teddy Bear Toast Snack
What you need:
- Bread (or gluten-free bread)
- Raisins/ blueberries
- Butter (or dairy-free spread)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
What you do:
- Mix the sugar with the cinnamon.
- Toast the bread lightly.
- Spread with butter while hot.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Slice banana and use one slice for the bear’s nose.
- Place raisins or blueberries for the eyes and one for the black nose.
- Finish the bear with two banana slices for the ears.
- Serve and enjoy!
You could try other fruit too e.g. kiwi slices for ears or an orange segment smile. Instead of the cinnamon-sugar topping you could use peanut butter (if no-one in your family has allergies), chocolate spread or jam. You could also make a savoury version with marmite or cheese, decorated with sliced cucumber, cherry tomatoes or other vegetables. Enjoy!
Adapted from http://www.kidssoup.com/activity/goldilocks-and-the-three-bears-activities-crafts-and-printables and http://www.minieco.co.uk/teddy-bear-toast/