Fun with phonics
What’s this course about?
This course will provide parents/ carers with fun games and activities that can be used at home, which link to the phonics system that is taught in schools and pre-schools today. It will inform parents/carers of how they can help their children to develop phonic awareness using games and activities that build phonological skills in order to support them to build confidence in helping their children to develop good pre and beginners reading and writing skills.
This is an online course where you’ll learn together and take part in practical group activities, all in a relaxed and friendly environment.
Who will benefit from attending?
This course is for adults who wish to support their children
What will I learn?
- Learners will understand that phonics is a code to support reading and writing
- Learners will develop confidence in joining in with a group to inform parents and carers of how phonics is taught in school.
- Learners will help their children to develop phonic awareness to ensure that they have the building blocks for reading and writing development
- Learners will begin to understand how phonics is taught in school.
- Learners will be given suggestions of how they can help their children to develop phonic awareness.
- Learners will begin to understand how phonics skills are applied to reading
- Learners will know how to make small changes to give children additional learning opportunities
How long is the course?
This course is run over 2 sessions, each session is 2-hours long, with some activities to do at home to help you practise your skills.
Will I be assessed?
You will be required to complete some paperwork during this course. This will record and support your learning journey and successes.
FaCL online courses are funded by the education and skills funding agency. Courses are no cost to learners if they are 19+ and have been a resident in UK/EU for 3+years and if you can tick any of these criteria:
- have less than 5 GCSEs grades a-c
- in receipt of benefits
- are a service family
- are a family with SEN children
- are unemployed
If you are unsure if you are eligible, we are always happy to talk things through carefully.