Exploring Higher Education provision in and around Wiltshire

Back to further & higher education
Types of provision
Where to study and courses
Back to the top

Types of provision

Higher Education  refers to qualifications beyond level 3 (A level) and provision can be accessed in a number of ways;

  • Higher Education Institution (University) which offer a wider range of undergraduate and post graduate qualifications usually but not always on full time courses
  •  Further Education College which offer qualifications from 4-7 often in partnership with universities. They often offer more part time programmes and include Access to Higher Education courses intended for adults without level 3 qualifications to enable them to enter a degree or higher level qualifications
  • In the workplace through in-house or training provider led training programmes  for professional qualifications, or in the workplace through higher and degree apprenticeships delivered by training providers and universities
  • Distance learning via courses such as the Open University or Massive Online Open Courses (MOOCs).

Whilst currently there is no physical university in Wiltshire, a range of higher level qualifications are offered through the colleges and their university partners in the area, and neighbouring universities. More information can be accessed here.

A growing number of employers in the Swindon and Wiltshire area are offering higher and degree level apprenticeships in partnership with universities and training providers.

Higher Education Provision

Where to study and courses

There are a huge variety of courses that you can study at Higher Education and choosing which one can be difficult. Have a look at what interests you and what qualifications you might need in the future.

Visit University Compare to see what Higher Education settings are in your area or use the UCAS search tool to see what Universities offer the course you would like.

Visit UCAS’s ‘what to study’ page for more advice and information.

Some Higher Education courses can be studied online or studied in flexible ways; therefore it is worth checking if your course offers distance learning; more information can be found here. Alternatively you could study at the Open University which is an online University and most courses have no formal entry requirements.

If you are not sure if university is for you, why not check out Not Going To Uni and see what alternatives there are.