Special Educational Needs or Disabilities Support

Special Educational Needs or Disabilities Support

Information on support services available to help people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) in education, employment and training.

Wiltshire Employment Support Team (WEST)

Providing education, employment and training services for young people up to age 25 with special educational needs and/or disabilities.

Visit West Team website.

Community Connecting

A service for young people and adults with special educational needs and disabilities, including autism. We aim to support our customers to find out more about their local community and how they can independently access their community.

Visit Community Connecting website.

Growing up and moving on guide for young people

A guide to help young people with special educational needs and or disabilities to decide on choices after school.

The Growing Up and Moving On Guide helps young people with SEND consider what they want to do after school and the support that is available to help make those choices.

thumbnail of Preparing_for_Adulthood_SEND_Booklet (3)

Please click image to download.

Pluss – Work and Health Programme

The Work and Health Programme is a Welfare to Work programme commissioned by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). It is designed to improve employment outcomes for people with health conditions or disabilities and those unemployed for more than two years.

Pluss deliver the programme in Wiltshire and support participants to identify their strengths and to find the right job.

If you are interested in finding out more about the Work and Health Programme you will need to speak to an adviser in your local Jobcentre Plus.

Visit Work Health Programme website.

Access to Work

A publicly funded employment support programme that aims to help more disabled people start or stay in work. It can provide practical and financial support if you have a disability or long term physical or mental health condition.

An Access to Work grant can pay for practical support to help you:

  • Start working
  • Stay in work
  • Move into self-employment or start a business.

How much you receive will depend on your circumstances, it doesn’t have to be paid back and will not effect any other benefits you are in receipt of (you must be 16 or over to receive the grant). The grant can pay for things such as; specialist equipment, a support worker/job coach if required, disability awareness training for colleagues.

Visit Access to Work Website.

Employment Support Allowance

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work. For more information visit the gov.uk website: www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance .

Disability Workers Rights

It is unlawful for employers to discriminate against anyone with a disability. Protection against disability discrimination can be found within The Equalities Act 2010 which covers the following areas:

  • application forms
  • interview arrangements
  • aptitude or proficiency tests
  • job offers.
  • terms of employment, including pay
  • promotion, transfer and training opportunities
  • dismissal or redundancy
  • discipline and grievances.

This Equalities Act covers the Police, armed forces and people on practical work experience, whether paid or unpaid. However some volunteers are excluded from the protection provisions so please seek specialist advice. It also protects those who suffer discrimination because they associate with the disabled, e.g. their carers. This is known as associative discrimination.

For further assistance please see the links below:

Equality Act 

Disability Rights

Citizens Advice – Disability Discrimination 

ACAS – Disability Discrimination 

  • Wiltshire Community Transport – Community First provides an advisory and support service to 45 Link Schemes and 21 Community Minibus Groups across Wiltshire and Swindon as well as managing a variety of transport services to keep communities connected. Visit Community First website.
  • Wiltshire Independent Travel Service – Are an award winning independent project offering initial travel support to individuals who would like to travel independently on public transport for work, to meet friends, for college or training. After meeting the person for the first time, they design an individual programme of support depending on their skills and needs. A travel supporter will accompany the person on their journey until they become confident. They can work on skills like planning a journey, road safety, telling the time, using money or a bus pass and help to build confidence. The only cost to the individual are any bus or train fares although where possible they will assist people to apply for disabled person passes.Peter North, WITS Co-ordinatorWiltshire Independent Travel Support, The Independent Living Centre, St. George’s Road, Semington, BA14 6JQTel: 01380 871800Email: peternorth.wsun@btconnect.com
  • Bus Pass – Apply for a persons bus pass here.
  • Blue Badge – Apply or renew a blue badge here.
Employing a blind or partially sighted person

Help and support from RNIB if you are blind or partially sighted person and worried that you will be unable to find work or stay in your current job.

There is also information for employers to help retain a current employee who is losing their sight, and help to employ someone who is blind or partially sighted.

Visit RNIB website.

Employment services

Whether you are a person with a learning disability looking for support, or an employer interested in working with people who have a learning disability, Mencap can help.

Visit Mencap website.

Wiltshire SEND IASS (Information + Advice + Support Service)

Free, confidential and impartial information, advice and support.

Open Monday to Friday, and they have a 24 hour answerphone. Parents and families can self refer themselves to access this service.

Visit Wiltshire SENDIASS website.

Skip to content