Next Steps

Do you need some support to help you move forward into education or employment?

Below is a range of links, programmes and organisations who can support you if are not sure what to do next.

Local Support Programmes

Look at the below tabs to see why you need to make a decision

Get Ahead

Get Ahead is a flexible and individualised programme funded by the European Social Fund for young people not in education, employment or training (NEET), or those At Risk of NEET. Learners can attend up to 2 days per week in College for an average of 10 weeks, or receive all their support remotely. Learners will receive:
  • 1:1 Support from a Progress Coach
  • An individualised learning plan
  • The opportunity to complete a work experience placement
  • The opportunity to do Qualifications in: Work Skills, Personal and Social Skills, Managing Personal Finance, Healthy Living and Grit and Resilience
We will help you to progress on to:
  • Education
  • Employment
  • Apprenticeship
  • Traineeship
Benefits include:
  • A £25 High Street Voucher for completing a personal target
  • A £75 High Street voucher when progressing to a positive destination
  • We can also reimburse travel costs e.g. bus tickets, so it shouldn’t cost you anything to attend!
Website: Contact details: Phone: 01225 756 373 Email:

Building Bridges

Providing 1 to 1 key worker support to those furthest away from work to overcome barriers and move towards employment or education. Website: Contact details: Phone: 01380 732821 Email:

Richmond Fellowship

Richmond Fellowship is a national specialist in integrated mental health care and provider of mental health services. The Wiltshire Individual Placement and Support (IPS) Employment Service delivery by Richmond Fellowship is specifically for people using Secondary Care Mental Health or Social Care services In Wiltshire who want to find paid employment. Website: Contact details: Phone: 01380737673 Email:

Additional Support

The toggles below has information for: carers, care leavers, those with Special Education Needs or Disabilities, those with convictions and mental health care, along with other relevant support which is available locally.

For information on who to contact for children and young people’s services visit the Wiltshire Council website.

Care Leaver Support

  • The Leaving Care Service works with young people in local authority care to help them to prepare for independent living from the age of 16 up to the age of 25, for more information on children’s services visit the Wiltshire Council website.
  • The Virtual School continues to support looked-after children and care leavers within education through to the age of 25.
  • Alabare - Wiltshire Leaving care service
  • If you’re in care, leaving care, living away from home or working with social services, the children's commissioner will  give you confidential advice and information about your situation and answer any questions you have.
  • Small grants are available from The Care Leavers Foundation to care leavers up to 29. These are aimed at helping with personal development needs, crisis payments, education, training or employment needs.  
  • Propel is specifically for young people leaving care who would like to go on to higher education. There is a fully searchable website with information on the support available from colleges and universities offering higher education courses across the United Kingdom.
  • The careerpilot website has useful information for young care experienced young people from year 11 to support with going to university.
  • The Become website has lots of information to support children in care and care leavers as well as an advice line. There is also useful information and factsheets on other funding sources for education/living costs for care leavers.
  • The Inspire Me! app has been developed by care leavers, for care leavers. It enables former care leavers who are now living independently and learning or working to share their positive stories. Users can upload their own stories and build up a bank of their favourites for future reference and inspiration. The app is available for free download on all devices from the app store and iTunes. It can also be accessed online.
  • Information for young people who are not UK citizens.
  • Information for asylum seekers. The Article 26 project works in partnership with universities to provide advice and guidance on creating packages of support for students seeking asylum. This includes a full-tuition-fee bursary and funding to meet some of the additional costs associated with studying.
  • is a website offering higher-education activities and resources for care leavers, children in care and those who support them
  • The leaving care process can be a challenging and confusing time for many young people, the care leavers association can provide advice and information aimed at making that process less difficult.
  • Coramvoice will support you to get the help you need and get your voice heard with a  national advocacy advice line
  • Connects is a resource for care leavers to access offers and information. Once signed up they will match young people to meaningful opportunities.

Support for Carers

A carer is anyone who cares, unpaid, for a family member or friend who could not always manage without their support. They might look after someone with a physical disability, long term health condition, mental health issue or a problem with substance misuse. For more information and support visit the Wiltshire Council page, Wiltshire Carer Support or Your Care Your Support Wiltshire.

Other useful websites

NHS: Support and benefits for carers Carers Trust Carers UK

Support for People with Convictions

Please see information and links to external organisations who specialise in helping ex-offenders: Unlock - Support for people with convictions Prince's Trust - Support for ex-offenders Youth Work Essentials - Recruitment of ex-offenders Howard League Young People's Legal Advice Line - Free, confidential legal service for young people, including those in prison. Coram Children's Legal Centre -Free independent legal advice for children, parents, carers and professionals. Advice Guide - Advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau


Young people with disabilities should be able to access learning, activities and opportunities. If they need it, support is available. Wiltshire Council's employment and community skills team is made up of 4 services:

Wiltshire Employment Support Team

Wiltshire Employment Support Team, better known as WEST is a supported employment service for young people and adults with special educational needs and disabilities, including autism. We aim to support our customers to find and keep various levels of paid employment.

Community Connecting

Community Connecting assists customers to find out more about their local community, supporting people to access clubs, meet friends, travel training, voluntary work and much more.

Supported Internships (18-24)

A study programme delivered by Wiltshire College, in partnership with Wiltshire Council. Supported Internships are individualised study programmes designed to equip students with learning difficulties and/or disabilities with the skills they need to secure paid employment. The structured study programme includes:
  • functional skills (English and maths)
  • preparation for work
  • on the job training and support for both the intern and the employer.

 Travel training

A service for SEND young people travelling to post-16 education settings in Wiltshire with a variety of travel options. Usual methods include; bus travel, walking routes and train travel. The benefits of independent travel expand your options and broaden your choices. Travel Training can help you increase your social involvement and meet up with relatives and friends. For more information about these services call the team on: 01225 718004 or email or go to their FaceBook page.

Disability Worker Rights

It is unlawful for employers to discriminate against anyone with a disability. Protection against disability discrimination can be found within The Equalities Act 2010 which covers the following areas:
  • application forms
  • interview arrangements
  • aptitude or proficiency tests
  • job offers
  • terms of employment, including pay
  • promotion, transfer and training opportunities
  • dismissal or redundancy
  • discipline and grievances.
This Equalities Act covers the Police, armed forces and people on practical work experience, whether paid or unpaid. However some volunteers are excluded from the protection provisions so please seek specialist advice. It also protects those who suffer discrimination because they associate with the disabled, e.g. their carers. This is known as associative discrimination. For further assistance please see the links below: Equality Act 2010: guidance Disability Rights Citizens Advice: What counts as disability discrimination ACAS: Disability Discrimination

Access to work

Access to Work is a publicly funded employment support programme that aims to help more disabled people start or stay in work. It can provide practical and financial support if you have a disability or long term physical or mental health condition. An Access to Work grant can pay for practical support to help you:
  • Start working
  • Stay in work
  • Move into self-employment or start a business.
How much you receive will depend on your circumstances, it doesn’t have to be paid back and will not effect any other benefits you are in receipt of (you must be 16 or over to receive the grant). The grant can pay for things such as; specialist equipment, a support worker/job coach if required, disability awareness training for colleagues. For more information go to:

Get support in work if you have a disability or health condition (Access to Work)

Access to Work: factsheet-for-customers

Additional Support

Furthermore the link below has information for: carers, care leavers, those with Special Education Needs or Disabilities, those with convictions and mental health care, along with other relevant support which is available locally.

Click here to go to support for those with barriers

Mental Health

 Most people (1 in 4) will experience problems with their mental health but there is support available.  If you are feeling anxious, stressed or experiencing poor mental health see what help you can access on the link below.

Click here to go to support for mental health

Financial Support

Studying can be quite costly and not just from course fees but also from day to day living costs. See what financial student support there is for those studying Further or Higher Education courses

Click here to go to financial support

Parent Zone

Parent Zone provides information to help parents/carers support young people in making the right decision about study and work.