Learn about traineeships and find traineeship vacancies
What is a traineeship?
Traineeships are designed to help young people gain the skills and experience they need to get an apprenticeship or job.
At its core are work preparation training, English and maths for those who need it, and a high quality work experience placement.
Check out the Fact sheet here to see if you are eligible and whether a traineeship is the correct route for you.
What are the benefits of a traineeship?
- A traineeship will put you in a better position to compete for an apprenticeship or other job.
- The opportunity to build your CV and get vital experience with local and national employers.
- Improving your English and maths skills will boost your chances of getting a job, as well as improving your long term prospects and earning potential over your lifetime.
- Employers are at the centre of traineeships to ensure they give you the skills you need to secure a job and succeed in employment.
- At the end of the work experience placement you’ll get a job interview with the company if a role becomes available or a reference and an exit interview.
How do you find a traineeship?
Now that you’ve determined that a traineeship could be the right route for you, there are three options available:
- Register for Traineeship opportunities which will be advertised on the traineeship vacancies free online service.
- Contact your local college or training provider to see if they are offering traineeship opportunities. A list of providers who are eligible to deliver traineeships is available here.
- If you are in receipt of benefits you should speak to your individual Jobcentre Plus adviser.